How to add a printer in Mac OS X
From College of Nursing - Office of Information Technology WIKI
Before starting make sure you are hardwired to the network. These instructions will NOT work over wireless.
- Choose “System Preferences” from the “Apple” menu.
- Choose “Printers & Scanners” from the View menu.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the “Default” icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the “Advanced” (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Click the “Advanced” icon that was added to the toolbar.
- Choose “Windows printer via spools” from the “Type” pop-up menu.
- In the URL field, type the printer’s address in one of the following formats:
smb://conprint.ad.utah.edu/Printer_Name (Example: smb://conprint.ad.utah.edu/Printer_2355)
- In the “Name” field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
- For B&W Printers Choose “Generic PCL Printer” from “Use” pop-up menu.
- For Color Printers Choose “Locate Driver” from “Use” pop-up menu. And search for the Model of Printer you are connecting to.
- Click “Add“.
- When printing you will be asked for user credentials. Username is ad\uNID and password is your regular network password.
Install the HP Driver pack from apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL907?locale=en_US